Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Quality Time


Me and Bubba had our Wednesday afternoon date out in Daddy's truck today, lookin' the farm over. Last night's rain helped out with the corn and beans and the cows enjoyed a break from the heat too. The sweet corn probably won't make it 'cuz there's all sorts of squirrels and coons helping themselves over there by the tree line. What they didn't eat, Daddy ran over while he was chasing the horses back to the barn for the umpteenth time. Never a dull moment around here, I tell you.

We grew up here with our parents and the baby boy who lives in the country too, just a couple of states away from Tennessee. His lovely wife Annetta is knocked up as a goose with the sole next generation male. Harold has big plans for forts and treehouses with his blessed offspring. Us kids had a great house out in the big persimmon tree, right out there up front of the homestead, that Daddy made when we were little. I climbed up in it a whole lot but only spent one night, with some girls from school who weren't near as scared as I was. If I was a bettin' gal, I'd say that momma was just glad to have my hard headed self out of the house for a night while she hovered over the boys. More likely than not, she was dead out exhausted from working at the employment office during the day, raising three brats and being a farmer's wife with all that involves in the manual labor department. Bless her heart.

While we were driving around today, I realized something very important and that is this.....My experience has been unique in an agriculturally smartass sort of way and many people don't have a clue what I'm talking about sometimes unless I explain things word for word. I reckon that's why I write stories about things I remember. Somebody's gotta tell it, you know?