Friday, May 11, 2018

What is a Writer?

What is a Writer? 


This has always been a bone of contention between people with opinions.

Many believe that true writers sweat over their words, feel deep angst over every sentence. That they are only viable writers if they have no other interests, careers and nearly starve to death tapping out 2,000 words a day. The words must be deep, meaningful, full of mystery and knowledge.

This of course drives inexperienced writers to back off and and feel that they'll never be considered to be worthy of reading.

To this I say, "Bull."

Writing is pure enjoyment. It's expressions, dreams, memories, humor, desires and fears. It's free flowing thinking on paper. No writing should be labeled as too mundane, silly, odd or dumb.

We need our great historical novels, our short humor books, our love stories, our poems, our 3 paragraph stories.

All writing is important to someone, maybe a lot of someones. I personally wrote for years and really enjoyed those simple emails that came my way - "You made me laugh", "You made me cry", etc. No one ever said that I solved a mystery in life or wrote a great historical tome that would last for eons - but those simple notes made my day.

This is why I started the Dew, beyond having a positive showing of the South - to encourage writers from all experiences and levels of advancement to feel comfortable sharing their work.
I think novelists should be able to throw out a pithy, humour filled page long story if they want. I think someone that has never sent any writing out for publication before should listen to their adult child who says they write good stuff. I think a 20 year old who thinks they might just have something should give it a shot.

The Dew is here for everyone, including myself, and I hope to hear from all of you!

Idgie