Monday, October 12, 2015

Flashback Recommendations, Week #6

 This week's flashback recommendations spoke  to me, and occasionally I found myself muttering back.  :)

We start with The Dry Grass of August, by Anna Jean Mayhew.  This is again a story that tends to be lumped in with The Help, but I found it to be a much deeper and more complex story than that.  In my review I called it a love story and I stick by that.  The overwhelming love that the housekeeper and the girl had for each other was much more than caretaker and child.  As events unfold, you can see how true this is. I do warn, this is not a happy ending book.

Next we have Ravens, by George Dawes Green.  Everyone seems to have run right over this book and mainly associate his name with The Juror, which went on to become a big time movie.  I think this is a shame.  More people should know about this very interesting and twisted book in which a lottery winning family is held captive by two thugs with an interest in only half their winnings.  Hey, they don't want to be greedy.

Finally we have The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah.  This is a fairly new release but it was quite good and still sticks in my mind.  A winning story of two women doing what they have to do to survive the Nazis, and somehow rise above them. Heartbreaking in more than one spot.