Friday, May 24, 2013

Off the Eaten Path: Second Helpings

Off The Eaten Path: Second Helpings
Author: Morgan Murphy
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Oxmoor House (May 7, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0848739558
ISBN-13: 978-0848739553

Book Description:
Off the Eaten Path: Second Helpings takes you on the ultimate road trip and into some of the South's most tucked-away diners, drive-ins and dives with food critic and travel writer Morgan Murphy as he cruises the roads less traveled in 16 Southern states. More than a cookbook, Second Helpings charts the best Southern foods at off-road diners, roadside food stands, and independently owned restaurants from Texas and Appalachia to the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts, gathering up a bellyful of recipes, laughs, and Southern lore along the way.

  • Second Helpings devours the South in five big bites, each chapter charting a tasty trail through one Southern sub region. Each of the five recipe chapters covers three to four states, eight to 12 eateries, and 24 to 32 restaurant recipes that will inspire your own home cooking.
  • With humor and his uniquely Southern voice, Murphy introduces you to each restaurant, recipe, and attraction, highlighting the best iconic Southern dishes to try in each region, from biscuits and gravy to white barbecued chicken and peanut butter pie.
  • Worth the drive: Murphy showcases one restaurant, character, or dish in each state as not just worth stopping for but worth driving out of your way to see-- a BEST in each state.
Idgie Says: 
If there ever was a "Where to eat"/cookbook series that needs to continue, it's this one.  I would easily collect an entire set of these books.  I have these two in my kitchen bookshelf and I'm dying for more.  The graphics, the little personal anecdotes, histories of the restaurants and wonderful recipes that you can recreate at home  - all of this combines into a wonderful addition to not only your kitchen but your bookshelf. 

As an additional bonus, I live in the South and I'm mapping my travel guide of food right now!  I'm in the Atlanta area and I've already earmarked the restaurants Morgan recommends near me to visit shortly.  Chicken and the Egg.........HERE I COME!

In all seriousness, I do hope this series continues.  I love it!