Monday, December 19, 2011

Letters From The Barn: The Holiday Holidaze

Letters From The Barn: The Holiday Holidaze

I was doing the holiday thing recently. Being all homey and baking. Boy, the kitchen smelled like nutmeg and my
stomach was full of warm food. My  house was bright with Christmas cheer. I had made a whole set, if that's what
you'd call them, of cookie ornaments. Bells, houses, and snowmen. Even a few stars.

I strung them on the tree, some dangling as ornaments, others more as a garland. So proud I was. True my tree is
artificial, but I can see so many pine trees outside my front door, it sort of makes up for it.

In the meantime, I talked to a lady who had stopped putting up her tree years ago. Her cat had started sleeping in
the branches and would knock it over clean to the floor. Being more of a dog person, I thought, now THAT'S a cat
for you. 

I hung the ornaments on the tree and went about my business for the day. Hauling hay outside, putting away things
inside. When I came back to the living room to have a cup of tea and rest, I discovered that my dog might not need
to eat for oh, another week or so.

She had not climbed the tree. She's too short for that. She was not sleeping in the branches, she prefers a
pillow, thank-you very much. She had, however, eaten as many cookie decorations as she could reach. And apparently
she can reach a lot further than you might think. Maybe Santa brought her stilts as an early gift. If she can
reach that far, I might have her putting new shingles on the roof come spring. Check back with me then and find
out.