Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Night we Called the Owls


The Night we Called the Owls


New lovers in a new country,

we drove the moonlit cedar road,

through rolling farmland, green and rich,

to the silent bottom, hardwoods, river,

we hid the car, walked softly under

White Oak snags, raw silhouettes,

swamp watchers on the hill, and I

surprised you when I gave

that single cry to the ringing woods,

that breaking call you didn’t know I

made. You squeezed my fingers; somewhere dark

the answer rose, a question in the owl-man’s code.

I teased by waiting, offered out my falling

note; it spoke again, the distance halved,

and from all corners of the chilly woods they rushed,

In the tree tops now, I said—

wings beating, here they flew

loud cackly harsh, smooth hollow piercing,

music and insane laughter too, their

ice-rich chords from different dreams.

Could they attack? I nodded,

One’s been known to carry off a child.

You shuddered at the spirit choir of

clear note-bending souls, their chaos rising and we

hurried through salt cedars to the waiting car,

our wilderness moment edging wrong but

gifting a fine beginning in the living land, that

chance we would not feel again.


______________________

Luke Wallin

Bio: Luke Wallin holds an MFA from Iowa and teaches in the MFA program of Spalding University. He has published stories, essays, books for children and young adults, books on nature and culture, poems, and songs. Contact at: Luke Wallin, PO Box 12341, Wilmington, NC 28405; 401-864-4854; threebuckwoods@yahoo.com; visit at lukewallin.com.