Have ya'll heard about this festival?
The Largest Independent Book Festival in the Nation
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Decatur Book Festival Presented by DeKalb Medical is an annual, free book festival that takes place over Labor Day weekend in Decatur, Georgia at several venues located in and around the downtown Decatur Square. Conceived in 2005 and launched in 2006, the festival brings more than 300 authors to Decatur for the holiday weekend. The authors give readings, talks, and panel discussions. The event is free and open to the public.
So, what is the Decatur Book Festival?
• It’s a bunch of people bouncing from book signing to poetry slam to cooking demonstration all in one afternoon; It’s a fun-filled program of your favorite authors, children’s parades, and writers workshops. It’s monster madness: the return of Bookzilla to crash the party. It’s a tribute to all the best Decatur venues. It’s a massive, explosive celebration of written and spoken word.
Who goes to book festivals?
• Your favorite authors, literature junkies, comic book fans, aspiring writers, avid readers of all ages, the curious, the adventurous. Everyone’s welcome - all events are free and open to the public. Expect a relaxed, happy atmosphere.
Why should I go?
• In just four short years the Decatur Book Festival has become an Atlanta-area Labor Day tradition: Each year over 70,000 people flock to historic downtown Decatur for the largest independent book festival in the nation. Be a part of one of the fastest growing literary communities in the country.
When is it?
• September 3-5, Labor Day Weekend.
• On Friday afternoon, AJC-DBF hosts a special series for local elementary school kids. This Friday field trip sparks imaginations and sets an exciting tone for the weekend.
• On Friday night, National Book Award winner Jonathan Franzen officially kicks off the weekend with a keynote address at Agnes Scott College. The AJC-Decatur Book Festival is Franzen’s first stop on tour for Freedom, his first novel since The Corrections.
• All day and into the evening Saturday and Sunday expect 150+ authors giving talks, panel discussions, and book signings at a few key locations around downtown Decatur.
• During the day, both Saturday and Sunday, you’ll find a hoppin’ bazaar on Decatur Square with over a hundred vendors, booksellers, novelties, games, and food…all for your enjoyment.
• All day Saturday and Sunday use your mobile phone to join in the special DBF version SCVNGR trek. The game leads players through the festival grounds, quirky local landmarks, and some of Decatur’s best hotspots and hangouts. You get points for each challenge you accomplish. Prizes for different point levels will be awarded at the conclusion of the weekend.
Go here for ALL the details!