Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why, Granny?


Why, Granny?
By: J.A. Heitmueller

"Why do you wear aprons, Granny?" I asked her one day,
as I nestled on her lap, while resting from my play.

"Mercy child," she replied, "it's just a part of life.
It's as valuable to me as Grandpa's pocketknife.

When I wrap it on each day it makes me feel complete. I'm
Prepared to face the day, whatever I shall meet.

Sometimes it's a wiping rag to dry my dripping hands.
Sometimes it's a holding cloth to grasp the boiling pans.

Now and then it dries a tear or wipes a runny nose. It's a
Part of all I do, wherever Granny goes.

Carrying potatoes or the hen's eggs from their nest.
Snuggling baby kittens close and warm against my breast.

Wiping up the drips and drops that splatter on the floor. Oft'
Times used to dust the table and there's so much more.

On a rainy day it's used to shield my head from rain or to
Take the horses lots of tasty, yellow grain.

Sometimes it's a help to open stubborn lids I grip. It can
hide a dirty spot or shield a jagged rip.

It's been known to shine a shoe or dry a puppy's fur or to
Clear a mirror when the steam has caused a blur.

Best of all though, precious child sitting on my knee, it's
A place to nestle you and have you here w
ith me!"