Saturday, October 8, 2005

Good Old Rocky Top

Southerners are known for all sorts of rivalries, but there ain’t a one that can match SEC football. My daddy is a football nut. I can always tell if the Tennessee Vols are losing because he goes out riding around in his truck to work off his frustrations. Such was the case today with the Georgia Bulldogs. If things had looked better, he would’ve been glued to the TV in his favorite recliner that heats and vibrates. When I was a kid I knew when trance time was coming up and acted accordingly. Don’t ever expect an answer from the old man during a game.

I know basically how football works with the quarterback and the extra points and all. My heart’s just never been in it though….probably a flashback to the ghost Daddy of autumns gone by. My blood still runs orange though because I’m a homegirl and we support our team. I know every verse of Rocky Top and observe the third Saturday in October as a national holiday when the Tide rolls in. Smokey is the mascot that cheers us through every single season here in the Volunteer state.
orange nation
Y’all know how many times Phil has kicked everybody’s butt on the field. The butcher at the grocery store grinned ear to ear the day that old what’s his name got shipped off to Ole Miss. On Saturdays in the fall, I can be sure that the game will be on the radio when I pass through to buy my groceries and beer. He’ll know the score too, and every play that’s been made. He’ll fuss about the offensive or defensive co-ordinator and keep on moving with the meat grinder until the battle of the day reaches the end of the fourth quarter.

Mecca in Tennessee is situated in Knoxville at Neyland stadium. The pilgrims travel for hours to see the mighty Vols take the field with the orange and white checked end zone. When the old one got tore up, my brother actually bought a piece of it framed and everything. Heck, my daddy has a whole ROOM filled with orange and white Vols memorabilia. Some of the stuff sings Rocky Top and some of it just tells the story that is Tennessee football. I don’t go up there without my sunglasses for fear of orange blindness. I bow to the higher power that is SEC football. Basketball season is right around the corner though. Be afraid…..very afraid.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm sitting here with my Bulldog tshirt on having just gotten back from a Georgia game party. I'm really not a big SEC fan but the menfolk in my family are and so I found myself watching the game. I never cease to be amazed at the frenzy these games can whoop up. But I must admit the party foods were mighty good.

Lillium

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

We were on a trip home once and got stuck in a town in Florida where there was going to be a Tennessee/Florida game. We had a motel where it was us and the rest were from Tennessee. Same at the restaurant. We received hairy eyeballs all night for our lack of car decoration and orange clothing.

A night of terror until we could reply we were from neither Florida nor Tennessee.

It was the most orange I've ever been around and I was damn sure not to say one single word about Tennessee.

ZootsMom said...

I watched that game. All decked out in my orange. I was nuts until it started. Now I'm nuts about the way it ended. Such is life as a Vol Fan...

Romani Heart said...

When I worked in "scary hillbilly town" as a bank teller, we had to wear orange on UT game days. It amazed me how entire towns could glow orange lol.

aka_Meritt said...

Proving we truly DID live in Nashville for 5 years, we even have a TN Vols *BARBIE DOLL*

(AND WE ARENT COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS AT ALL!) LOL.

YellowRose said...

We wear orange, too...Burnt orange!!! Go Longhorns!! ;)

(Personally the only game I watch is the Texas-Oklahoma game...I have a good friend who's a Sooner fan...we are rivals that day...yesterday I won! lol)

Marilyn said...

When I read about football, I'm always reminded of that old Andy Griffith monologue called "What is was, was football." But I digress. My husband and I first came to Alabama in the early 70's. We were raised in North Carolina, where basketball is king. The first weekend we were here, we went shopping on Saturday afternoon and couldn't figure out why sales clerks and customers alike were huddled around little television sets. When we asked, some gent said "It's the Alabama football game." and looked at us like we'd developed a second nose or something. We could have picked that store clean for all the attention they were paying to us. We managed to stay fairly neutral in the whole Alabama/Auburn thing until our older son headed off to college.

War Eagle! **gg**

Dana said...

This touched my heart, poopie. I know where you are coming from, being a big Bama fan and all. Football season is like Heaven to me. Except my Heaven is colored Crimson and White. LOL

I traveled to Knoxville many times when I was in college. I remember Neyland Stadium very well. But "Rocky Top" hasn't been the same since I heard it in Knoxville for the first time and Tenn beat the living crap out of Bama

See ya on the field this Saturday!
Roll Tide! ;)

Dana

PokerGuy12 said...

For all the college football fans out there try checking out pokerblue.com. They have a free online poker tournament where the football fans, representing 70 of the nation’s top colleges, battle their rivals at the poker table. Each of the rivalry winners gets two free tickets for their big rivalry game and $100 dollars in tailgate cash, plus they qualify for another free tournament with 2 National Championship Rose Bowl tickets and $2000 in travel cash as the grand prize. Get excited for the big game check it out at Pokerblue